Friday, September 22, 2006

the light at the end of the tunnel


This is my favorite painting ever.
For a while after my Buddhist phase (and before I came to Ethnos) I was shopping around for churches, and I went to the Bridge pretty regularly for about 6 months or so. I really liked the worship there because it was so honest and raw. One of the things was that they let everyone do art during the services.
It was very different than what we do at Ethnos. They had tables covered in butcher paper, and tempera paint, and sometimes I couldn't even find brushes.
Anyway, the day I painted this was a particularly bad day in my world. I remember feeling really hopeless and lost, and praying that God would somehow help me find a way out of the darkness (thus the subject matter... and caption).
They had laid out pieces of foamcore all over the floor and told people to paint if they wanted to. However it was so dark in the club that I couldn't see what I was doing at all, and since I couldn't find a paintbrush, I used my hands and what I thought was black, red and white paint. It wasn't until I got outside that I realized it was purple.
Anyway, the reason I like it so much is that it pretty much sums up the way my head worked during that time of my life. And I remember the passionniate worship that day and having my hands in paint up to my elbows...

Another funny thing is that I was so shy, I pretty much ran out of the service afterward, and wouldn't show the painting to anyone (even my dad when he came to pick me up), so it sat in the drum room for a year and a half, until just now when I fished it out.

No comments: