Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Why I Love Being 19:

In case you haven't noticed, I have been making a conscious effort to focus on the positive aspects of life. I am a thinker, and controlling my thoughts is a big part of controlling my moods. So rather than think about the negative (my brother, friends who are away, school stress, etc etc) I am focusing on the things I like and feel good about. The more I think positively the more I realize how many things there are to think positively about.
This morning as I sat having my quiet time I was suddenly struck by how far I have come in the past year, and how many amazing things/people I have around me, supporting me and helping me move forward. I have more of a reason to be happy right now than I have ever had before, and just that realization is awesome in and of itself.
Now here is an example of what I mean:
-I am 19 years old and a third of the way finished with my BFA. In the past year my value in the workplace has increased dramatically. I am worth (at least) twice as much as I was before Ai and that is after only a year of school. By the time I am done (just a little after my 21st birthday- that is young for such a huge accomplishment) I will be worth much more than that. I am freaking proud of myself for being in school and the payoff is so great for the work I've been putting in. The last year has FLOWN by.
-I am still at the point where I have freedom in the decisions that I make because I don't have a family to support or even a serious relationship I need to maintain. This means I can travel, continue school, move, etc. without too much trouble. It is only myself that I am responsible for at this point.
-Speaking of serious relationships though, I am getting serious with my relationship with God, which is exciting for me. For the first time in my life I feel intelligent enough and confident enough to study and understand the bible. I believe this is God preparing my heart and mind for his work. I can see and feel the way he is working in me and when I am obedient he puts a lot on my plate in terms of training. He has surrounded me with these amazing resources, people that care about me and can speak into my life, and the confidence and faith to obey him and follow where he leads me. This is by far the best thing on the list and I am so thankful I am starting this process right now, so I can have his guidance and approval on the ministries I work in from here on out.
-Also in terms of intelligence and confidence, I have a greater understanding of myself than I have ever had before. I am beginning to realize that I do have the potential for the things I have wanted in my life. For example, if I want it, and if it is in God's will, I fully believe I am capable of medical school. I have not thought I was smart enough for that in the past, but I now realize I am quite a bit smarter than I have given myself credit for.
-In that same vein, knowing myself means I have a good idea of my strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of things I like about myself, and the things I don't like, I am still young enough to change.
-This is by no means the end of the list of things I am thankful for, but I have to get ready for school, so this is where I'll stop, with my more shallow observation. People say your twenties are the peak of physical attractiveness. I am thankful to be on my way out of the awkward teenage phase and all the physical self-confidence that transition entails. I remember being insecure in high school about my appearance and that is gone now.

OKAY. I have a full day of school ahead of me so I have to get going!

3 comments:

Dave Ketah said...

Who says your 20's are the peak?

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Ciara! You are wise beyond your years and beautiful inside and out!

Anonymous said...

Ditto